Sunday, October 18, 2009

Oh to be young...

Let me start by saying to my Niece, I'm not ragging, just reporting! When I was young and unfamiliar the same thing could of happened...well maybe. My Niece that just moved to Austin decided to come to Dallas this weekend. Three other friends came with her including a guy she met while traveling in Europe. This chick has guts...traveled Europe basically alone for almost 3 months. Occasionally a friend or family member popped in during her journey. Not something I would think of doing alone. Anyhow, Niece and friends come to Dallas. Before they leave she e-mails with a few questions. First, where's a good place to go dancing? Haha...she's asking people with two kids and 40. (I'm not 40 but really really close). Can't tell you the last time I went dancing at a club. Second, where to watch the Texas/OU game. Easy...Victory Park. It has huge screens outside and is suppose to be cool. No, I've never actually watched anything thing there. I have been to a Stars Hockey game and Mavs Basketball game at the Arena though. Third, a good Mexican restaurant. Easy breezing...I'm really good at food! The Husb ask where they are staying. She doesn't know yet.


This is where it gets interesting. Remember when you were young, just starting out in life and didn't have a pot to piss in? Well, that's where she is. She has found that getting a job in Austin isn't as easy as once thought. Austin's a bitch. Awesome fun town. Great music and food. Beautiful and right on the edge of Texas hill country. There lies the problem. Nobody wants to leave. A friend of mine told me his wife would make $20,000-$30,000 more a year at her job as a Physical Therapist if they moved to San Antonio. Needless to say the job market is tight and she isn't making a ton of money.

Niece calls yesterday and tells the Husb where she has booked a room thru Priceline. The motel is in South Dallas close to Fair Park. Ever been to Dallas? You DO NOT want to be in that area of town, especially at night. I wouldn't be surprised if they rent the rooms by the hour. Picture hookers, homeless and Meth. Enough said. Priceline reviews were ok she said and it was the cheapest she could find. We read reviews that were more along the lines of, "This is the scariest place I've ever stayed", "I wore flip flops in the shower because I didn't want to get a disease", oh and my favorite, "The dirty toilet seat wasn't attached and there was a dead lizard in the toilet." Ewwwww.... Her parents would be pissed if they knew we let her stay there. Regardless if there were a couple of guys with her or not. We convinced her to try and cancel even if she couldn't get a refund. The Husb got her a room at Motel 6 in Addison...a much much nicer part of town. Thank God. Just between you and I Motel 6 makes me go ewwww...but I am spoiled with really nice places that Delta usually puts us up in. The Double Tree is roughing it for me. Glad the Husb and I were on the same page. It was so worth the $ not lose sleep over it...or to get a phone call that her car had been stripped. Oh to be young and....

3 comments:

Chief said...

and dumb and full of...well you know!

I remember this stage oh so well. I was a nanny in NC and all of us nannies would head to the bars and bowling allies and flirt with the old married men and then run and jump in our cars and race away, giggling...

We were so stupid and we are lucky we didn't get caught by one of those drunk married cowboys!

Good for you...keeping her safe.

Dee at Pedestrian Palate said...

We were all like that once. Somehow we survived. I am sure that she will look back in 10 years and ask herself "What was I thinking?"

The Grounded Drink Lady said...

Yeah, once when I was driving back to College with my roommate we...wait...nevermind. ;)